This event will be held on 6 December from 8:00 to 9:30 during a Breakfast Debate in the European Parliament in Brussels and is part of the European Innovation Area Summit organised by the Knowledge4Innovation Forum.
Hosted by MEP Franc Bogovič, EPP, Slovenia, K4I Member
As the EU endeavors to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050, SMRs have emerged as a promising solution. They offer a pathway to decarbonize various sectors through low-carbon electricity production and innovative nuclear technology. The European Parliament recognizes their potential in enhancing energy security, reducing dependence on external fossil fuels, and supporting the EU's global competitiveness in this rapidly evolving field.
The discussion will focus on several key aspects:
- Strategic Importance of SMRs: Their role in achieving the EU's energy and climate goals.
- Challenges and Opportunities: Addressing deployment challenges while highlighting the sector's opportunities.
- Collaborative Efforts for Deployment: The need for collaboration among EU Member States, industrial stakeholders, and research organizations.
- Financial Support and R&D: The importance of financial support and research to overcome technological challenges.
- SMRs and EU’s Global Competitiveness: How SMRs can enhance the EU's position in the global nuclear technology market.
This debate aims to underscore the need for collaborative efforts and financial support for research and development to realize the potential of these technologies.
|Dates (from)||12/6/2023 8:00:00 AM|
|Dates (to)||12/6/2023 9:30:00 AM|
|Venue||European Parliament, Brussels|